Monday, August 8, 2011

Triathlon Training Zero Week


This past week was my first full week of training for what will be my first Sprint Triathlon in 5 weeks.  I never did create a detailed plan and jumped right in.  It was an action packed week full of two days, biking to work, and my first open water swim.  I placed an emphasis on developing much needed swim skills.  With the first week done I now have a better idea of what the coming weeks entail.  Activity for the week of 31 Jul 2011 is shown below:

Sunday:  45 min swim, lawn mowing
Monday:  1 hour swim, 3 mile run (6:50, 6:33, 6:06) 
Tuesday:  15 mile bike (46:23), 30 min swim
Wednesday:  45 min swim, 5 mile run (6:41, 6:49, 6:49, 6:58, 6:39)
Thursday:  45 min swim
Friday:  13.5 mile bike (55:21), 13.5 mile bike (57:26), 30 min swim
Saturday:  2 hour open water swim, 30 min kayaking

Totals:

Swim:  6 hours
Bike:  3 hours, 41 miles
Run:  1 hour, 8 miles      

Swim

My swim sessions consisted of patient drilling with the goal of imprinting proper form in muscle memory.   In the past I have succumbed to the temptation to train for endurance first, but I recognize my need to embrace correct technique early this time.  I can go further and feel much more streamlined in the water today than the start of the week.  I spent Saturday on a local lake with friends and became familiar with open water.  It was nerve racking at first but 6 hours later I was quite comfortable.  I have no actual clue how much swimming I got in but I can say later that night my body ached and I discovered muscles I never knew I had.  The upcoming week will consist of more full stroke and less drilling as I transition to building endurance.

Bike

Bike volume was unfortunately low with one ride on my road bike for the week.  I can say the last couple miles of this ride were quick when thunder storms appeared on the scene.  Friday I took my commuter bike to work for a round trip of 27 miles.  Biking to work is a time saver and a great way to start my day.  The time I would have spent commuting is spent working out and when I get home the evening is wide open.   I hope to bike to work more often and double my biking mileage in the coming weeks.

Run

Run volume was also low, sacrificed for swimming.  The runs I did get in followed other workouts so I was a bit fatigued going into them.  All things considered I was pleased with the results.  My foot injury lingers with a dull ache but has not impacted running.  I have focused on maintaining a shorter stride, higher cadence, upright posture, and an even forefoot strike.  I feel as if I am going slower but in reality I am not.  I have to admit since changing up my form breathing seems easier at fast paces.  The coming weeks I will be planning for interval, tempo, and distance runs and building up mileage.                           

No comments:

Post a Comment