Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Beets with Avocado and Orange


The January 2012 issue of Runners World contained a recipe for Beets with Avocado and Orange that looks delicious.  It also contains ingredients I consider exotic and as such may be better suited for a restaurant.  I have a simple philosophy in the kitchen and that is to keep ingredients to a manageable level and use seasonal produce.  It reduces waste, saves time, and money.  The photo and recipe brought me to action and I created a simpler version with what I had on hand.   

Since going Paleo I have replaced many of the grains I eat with roots, including beets.  Avocado, oranges, and beets are all staples in the kitchen these days and taste delicious by themselves or as an addition to other dishes.  The ten ingredients of the original recipe can be cut to four with good results.  Not only is the dish paleo it is also vegan and vegetarian.

Beets with Avocado and Orange.  Beets turn everything they touch purple.
Ingredients:

4 small-medium Beets
2 Avocados
11 oz Mandarin Oranges
½ Lime juiced

The Runners World recipe called for boiling beets.  I prefer roasting them as they retain more flavor and moisture.  Preheat an oven to 350 F.  Cover the beets and cook for an hour.  Let cool and peel / dice.  Peel, seed, and dice the avocado and toss with the juice of the lime.  Mix the beets, avocado, and oranges together and enjoy.  

1 comment:

  1. This looks so yummy! I’m definitely going to try it out!

    ReplyDelete